Here we going to mention how to grow orchids in indian conditions as outdoor plants. Ex In Balcony or under sunshade or on garden etc…
how orchids plants different from other flowering plants? ( There have ground orchids which can grow as normal plants in grounds. we are not going to that varieties.)
1) Water – When watering orchids, we need to remember the aerial root system, water is best applied with a spray or mist sprinkler system. Do not over-water them.
2) Moisture:- these plants love moisture not water
2) Light – Light requirements for orchids are variable from tropical heat to the cool jungle environment according to the species.
3) Nutrients – Foliar sprays are best applied during the cooler part of the day to allow more absorption. A water soluble formula fertiliser is recommended as it can be washed off and re-applied in two to three weeks. The best time to apply is during the active growing period. There are a lot of fertilisers for orchid growing in the market.
4)Potting mix – Orchids need a good water-retaining medium like charcoal, coconut husks, bracken sheet lining, tree fern bark or sphagnum moss. These offer the best aeration and do not retain too much water to cause root rot. Charcoal is also useful to absorb toxic substances.
So from which orchid species starts with this hobby?
we suggest dendrobium.
It is the cheapest orchid available and more tolerable for newbie or for our climate conditions. since watering, nutrients and potting mixture are generally same for all varieties. The difference is in shade/light conditions. these plants required 50% shade. No direct sunlight on noon time. either morning or evening direct sunlight is ok.
Dendrobium plants with flowers
a dendrobium plant
Dendrobium small plants
you will get new plants these way also ( below )
Required 50% shade.
Dendrobium can tolerate full morning sun followed by an afternoon of shade.
Daily in the morning. which we do in our condition. make sure medium is almost dry out between watering. Check the medium with your finger – if you feel moisture do not water.
When your orchid is blooming, fertilizer is not needed. we using Green care 30:10:10 (0.5mg/l) for small plants ( we used one times in a
week) and Green Care – 13:27:27 ( 0.5mg/l )for big plants. one time in two week.
in very hot conditions it good to provide humidity by Humidity tray or by someother means.
Want to buy for trial ?
1) small plants These plants require 8 to 9 months to get first flowers. go for cheap one. rate is different depends upon the variety.
2) Tagged plants cost depend upon the variety and know what the flower will be