Dtps. Abed-Nego “Penny” HCC/AOS x Dtps. Little Peach
They’re abbreviations for awards. HCC/AOS means that the clone received a Highly Commended Certificate from the American Orchid Society.S/CSA means the clone received a sliver medal from the Cymbidium Society of America.FCC/RHS means the clone received a First Class Certificate from the Royal Horticultural Society (in the UK).
Every major orchid society has a judging system, and awards exceptional plants. A clone that is awarded keeps the award as part of its name forever. For example, Paph. Winston Churchill ‘Indomitable’ FCC/AOS is an awarded clone of that hybrid. Its award stays with it.
The AOS has a number of awards besides the HCC, including the FCC (same as with the RHS), the AM (Award of Merit), and others. The FCC is the highest award you can get in either the AOS or RHS system. You’ll encounter tons of awards as your orchid journey unfolds.
HCC – Highly Commended Certificate
A flower from this plant has scored 75-79 points on a scale of 100. This means that the flower is good, but there is room for improvement.
AM – Award of Merit
This means that a flower from this plant has scored from 80-89 points on a scale of 100.
FCC – First Class Certificate
A flower awarded a FCC has scored over 90 points on a scale of 100 points. It indicates an extremely high quality.
In addition, if you go to an orchid show, you will probably see many of these additional awards:
AD – Award of Distinction
This award is specifically awarded to recognize new and exciting directions for breeding.
AQ – Award of Quality
Recognizes high quality new breeding.
CBR – Certificate of Botanical Recognition
This certificate is generally awarded the first time a specific species is shown at a show hosted by the awarding board such as the AOS.
CCM – Certificate of Cultural Merit
This is a prize for the grower rather than the flower. It recognizes excellence in horticulture.
CCE – Certificate of Cultural Excellence
This is a certificate which is given only to those plants whose grower has shown an outstanding degree of horticultural care. It is given to a plant that receives more than 90 points on a 100 point scale for Cultural Merit.
CHM – Certificate of Horticultural Merit
This certificate is given for species or natural hybrids only for outstanding cultural
JC – Judges’ Commendation
This is an award that can be given at the Judge’s discretion for an exceptional plant which does not fit into any other award category. It requires a unanimous decision by all judges a t the exhibit to be awarded.
Orchid societies worldwide
- Australian Orchid Council (AOC),
- The American Orchid Society (AOS)
- The Coordenadoria das Associações Orquidófilas do Brasil (CAOB)
- The Cymbidium Society of America (CSA)
- The Deutsche Orchideengesellschaft in Germany (D.O.G.)
- The Honolulu Orchid Society (H.O.S.)
- The Queensland Orchid Society (Q.O.S.)
- The Orchid Society of New South Wales (O.S.N.S.W.)
- The New Zealand Orchid Society (N.Z.O.S.)
- The Orchid Council of New Zealand (O.C.N.Z.)
- The Orchid Societies Council of Victoria (O.S.C.O.V.)
- The Orchid Society of South-East Asia (O.S.S.E.A.)
- The South African Orchid Council (S.A.O.C.)
- The Sociedad Colombiana de Orquideología (S.C.O.)
- The South Florida Orchid Society (S.F.O.S.)
- The Taiwan Orchid Growers Association (T.O.G.A.).
- The Royal Horticultural Society, UK (RHS)
- Japanese Orchid Growers’ Association ( JOGA)
- Taiwan Paphiopedilum Society (TPS)
Apart from the awards some have words begining of the name like -sogo gotris,
,Dtps.OX Prince. These notes the manufactures/producer of that flower
OX:-plants from OX Orchid Farm Taiwan (ttp://www.oxorchids.com.tw/eindex.htm)
SOGO:- plants from SOGO Orchid Taiwan( http://sogoorchids.imb2b.com/introduce/)